Support through the KIT publication fund
With support by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation), KIT is one of the first research institutions in Germany to establish a publication fund to finance open access article processing charges. The support program “Open Access Publishing” provides financial support for alternative, quality assured review and publication methods. The required contribution by KIT comes from central funds.
Oftentimes article processing charges can be paid for by a KIT Department or as part of a project’s third-party funding. Please examine this possibility in advance.
The complete article processing charges are paid from the KIT publication fund if the following requirements are met:
- The submitting / corresponding author is a member of KIT.
- The maximum article processing charges are 2,000 EUR (including VAT).
- The paper is published in a journal whose entire content is accessible free of charge via the internet immediately after publication (“real open access journal”).
- The article can be entered into an institutional repository in the published version (without embargo period).
- The article is published under a Creative Commons licence (CC licence, preferably CC BY). The publisher does not charge an additional fee for the CC licence.
- The journal applies quality assurance methods (peer review) acknowledged in the specific subject area. For a list of these journals, please refer to the Directory of Open Access Journals.
- Publications financed by the funds of the support program should include the following note in their acknowledgements: “We acknowledge support by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft and open access publishing fund of Karlsruhe Institute of Technology.”
- A possible overdrawing of the “KIT-Publication Fund” at the end of the financial year will be transferred pro rata to the institutes. The calculation is based on the "Cost-By-Course Principle", i.e. on the percentage share of the publication fee per article in relation to the “KIT-Publication Fund”.
Funding does not cover:
- Papers made freely accessible for an extra author charge parallel to being published in a subscription-based journal (so called “hybrid journals”).
- Articles restricted by an embargo period.
- Article processing charges that can be paid by third-party funds.
Informations on specific publishers
To support KIT authors financially, several institutional memberships by Karlsruhe Institute of Technology have been established. Here you can find further information.
show all | hide all
In January 2012 the direct processing of APCs for articles in journals by the publisher Copernicus through KIT Library was established.
Since 2015 15% pre-payment discount by the publisher Frontiers is applied to the publication charges due to the institutional membership of the KIT.
|Verlag KIT Scientific Publishing
KIT Scientific Publishing offers a competitive chance to publish books open access. KIT Scientific Publishing has also been publishing the open access "Journal of New Frontiers in Spatial Concepts" since 2009.
|MDPI - Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute
Since March 2014 KIT Library has been participating in the membership program of the open access publisher MDPI. A 15 % discount is granted for the publication charges.
Open access journals by the Optical Society of America are no longer supported by the KIT Publishing Fund. For more information please click here: http://blog.bibliothek.kit.edu/kit_bib_news/?p=11074
|Public Library of Science (PLoS)
A "direct billing agreement" exists with the publisher Public Library of Science (PLoS). The invoices are paid directly by the KIT Library.
KIT authors can make use of reduced publication fees when publishing an article at SAGE publishing in 2018.
|SCOAP³ - Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics
In 2014 KIT became a member of SCOAP³ - a world wide open access initiative which makes publications in the field of high energy physics freely accessible. The publication charges are paid for by KIT.
Since late 2012 a 20% discount on publication charges is granted for articles in Wiley open access journals through the Wiley Open Access Account - WOAA.
Applying for support
- Submit your publication to the journal of your choice.
- If your publication meets the support requirements, apply for a refund of the article processing charges:
- Should you receive the publisher invoice directly, please send it to the KIT publication fund team for further processing.
Please do not hesitate to contact the KIT publication fund team should you have any further questions (e.g. in case the article processing charges amount to more than 2,000 EUR).