Support through the KIT publication fund
As part of its "Open Access publishing" service, KIT offers financial support for quality-assured OA publications. Open Access publication fees (Article Processing Charges, APCs) can be covered by the KIT publication fund. See below for funding requirements.
Expenses for APCs can often be reimbursed within the framework of project funding, e.g. by the DFG or the EU. Please consider this possibility in advance and, if necessary, include the corresponding funds in your project application.
The complete article processing charges are paid from the KIT publication fund if the following requirements are met:
- The submitting / corresponding author is a member of KIT.
- The maximum article processing charges are 2,000 EUR (including VAT).
- The paper is published in a journal whose entire content is accessible free of charge via the internet immediately after publication ("genuine open access journal").
- The article can be entered into an institutional repository in the published version (without embargo period).
- The article is published under a Creative Commons licence (CC licence, preferably CC BY). The publisher does not charge an additional fee for the CC licence.
- The journal applies quality assurance methods (peer review) acknowledged in the specific subject area. For a list of these journals, please refer to the Directory of Open Access Journals.
- Publications financed by the KIT publication fund should include the following note in their acknowledgements: "We acknowledge support by the KIT-Publication Fund of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology."
- A possible overdrawing of the “KIT-Publication Fund” at the end of the financial year will be transferred pro rata to the institutes. The calculation is based on the "Cost-By-Course Principle", i.e. on the percentage share of the publication fee per article in relation to the “KIT-Publication Fund”.
Funding does not cover:
- Papers made freely accessible for an extra author charge parallel to being published in a subscription-based journal (so called “hybrid journals”).
- Articles restricted by an embargo period.
- Article processing charges that can be paid by third-party funds.
Informations on specific publishers
To support KIT authors financially, several institutional memberships by Karlsruhe Institute of Technology have been established. Here you can find further information.
show all | hide all
In January 2012 the direct processing of APCs for articles in journals by the publisher Copernicus through KIT Library was established.
Since 2015 15% pre-payment discount by the publisher Frontiers is applied to the publication charges due to the institutional membership of the KIT.
|Verlag KIT Scientific Publishing
KIT Scientific Publishing offers a competitive chance to publish books open access.
|MDPI - Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute
Since March 2014 KIT Library has been participating in the membership program of the open access publisher MDPI. A 15 % discount is granted for the publication charges.
Open access journals by the Optical Society of America are no longer supported by the KIT Publishing Fund. For more information please click here: http://blog.bibliothek.kit.edu/kit_bib_news/?p=11074
|Public Library of Science (PLoS)
A "direct billing agreement" exists with the publisher Public Library of Science (PLoS). The invoices are paid directly by the KIT Library.
Corresponding KIT authors receive a 20% discount on publication fees in the almost 200 genuine Open Access journals of SAGE Publishing. You can apply for financial support of the remaining publication fee by KIT Publication Fund. Please note that the maximum funding sum is 2.000 € (including VAT).
SAGE has established a new submission workflow (pdf verlinken). The previous discount code (in 2020: DFG2020OA) is not required any more. Corresponding authors should use their kit.edu email address if possible. That makes it easier for SAGE’s submission system to recognize their affiliation to KIT automatically and apply the 20% discount.
|SCOAP³ - Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics
In 2014 KIT became a member of SCOAP³ - a world wide open access initiative which makes publications in the field of high energy physics freely accessible. The publication charges are paid for by KIT.
|Springer Open Access (DEAL)
Corresponding authors that are affiliated with KIT receive a discount on publication charges for articles in genuine Open Access journals (Gold OA) by Biomed Central BMC and SpringerOpen (including “Nature Communications” and “Scientfic Reports”). KIT Publication Fund can cover for these fees according to the Funding Requirements.
If you are offered different kinds of CC licences during the submission process, KIT Library recommends the licence CC-BY. Please use your email address with the domain kit.edu during the submission process. That makes it easier to assign your article to KIT’s DEAL account.
The second component of the DEAL contract with Springer Nature Publishers refers to publications in hybrid journals ("Springer Open Choice"). Corresponding authors that are members of KIT can publish their articles Open Access without any additional costs. Please refer to our website on Publish & Read for further information.
|Wiley Open Access (DEAL)
Corresponding authors that are affiliated with KIT receive a discount on publication charges for articles in genuine Open Access journals. KIT Publication Fund can cover for these fees according to the Funding Requirements.
During the submission process please indicate your affilitation to KIT and quote the Account Code D402. Please use your email address with the domain kit.edu during the submission process. That makes it easier to assign your article to KIT’s DEAL account.
If you are offered different kinds of CC licences during the submission process, KIT Library recommends the licence CC-BY.
The second component of the DEAL contract with Wiley Publishers refers to publications in hybrid journals ("Wiley OnlineOpen "). Corresponding authors that are members of KIT can publish "Primary Research Articles" und "Review Articles" Open Access without any additional costs. Please refer to our website on Publish & Read for further information.
Applying for support
- Submit your publication to the open access journal of your choice.
- If your publication meets the support requirements, apply for a refund of the article processing charges:
NEW || New method for processing incoming invoices
Please note the new method for processing incoming invoices:
- Invoices must be sent DIRECTLY by the issuing party to KIT’s Financial Department (FIMA). Forwarding of invoices by authors or KIT Library is not allowed.
- Email addresses for incoming invoices are:
- The billing address must include the comment “Kostenstelle 6310” to ensure the correct assignment of the invoice.
- FIMA points out that all invoices that cannot be assigned to a cost centre will be returned to the issuing party.
Here you can find the form letter that was sent by FIMA to KIT’s suppliers: https://www.fima.kit.edu/1176.php.
Please do not hesitate to contact the KIT publication fund team should you have any further questions (e.g. in case the article processing charges amount to more than 2,000 EUR).